Join us at our brand new blog - Blue Country Gazette - created for those who think "BLUE." Go to www.bluecountrygazette.blogspot.com

YOUR SOURCE FOR TRUTH

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Religious hate crime perpetrated in Rim Country

LETTER
LETTER
LETTER
LETTER

Editor:

On April 6, I built a Sweat Lodge on the third crossing on the East Verde River in Payson, with the permission of the U.S. Forest Service. The Sweat Lodge is a man-made structure in which we, as Native Americans, hold purification ceremonies. My relatives and I were preparing for a sweat on Easter weekend.

On April 20, I walked with a friend to the location for further preparations, to find my Sweat Lodge totally destroyed and burnt. I was devastated and saddened. This attack on sacred, religious, and cultural grounds affected me personally, individually, and collectively as a Native American faith community.

I called the Sheriff’s office to file a complaint. Deputy Johnson is investigating this religious hate crime. If you or anyone else has any information that would lead to the individuals who are responsible for the destruction of my Sweat Lodge, please contact the Sheriff’s office in Payson.

Lawerence Duncan

No comments: