Join us at our brand new blog - Blue Country Gazette - created for those who think "BLUE." Go to www.bluecountrygazette.blogspot.com

YOUR SOURCE FOR TRUTH

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ask us if we're surprised by ASU campus glitch

PERSPECTIVE

The problem with building up unrealistic expectations in the media - as we believe has been done with the Payson-ASU campus - is that people make plans based on what they think they can trust.  Then when the bubble starts to burst, as it did Friday on the front page of a local newspaper, the impact is much worse than if the story had been reported in a more balanced manner from the beginning.  That's saying it about as delicately as we can.

And if you really believe that all we have to do is reach into our campus bag and pull out another university, can I also interest you in a natural bridge?  As a local paper says elsewhere in Friday's edition: "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

These relentless ups and downs make for good newspaper copy.  I think I'll wait until ground is broken before I get too excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah,Yes....When we practice deception for "copy" and politcal acceptance, the public suffers. That's why we were in a better "position" when we had an alternative publication. It tends to keep both honest.....